As most of you know by now, I have had surgery. I woke up at 5am this past Wed. with L&R kidney pain. It then radiated to my liver/gallbladder area. About an hour after that excrutiating pain, it moved down to my right lower quadrant and stayed there. It never let up, it was a constant pain. I, being the medical freak I am, began looking all this stuff up online because I like to diagnose myself before going to the doctor. After hours of looking, I figured either appendicitis or kidney stones. I was actually worried that it was just nothing too. I called my dad around midnight to see what he thought I should do, either go in or wait it out. He said to go the ER. So we left right away. My sister met us there.We arrived at the ER at Mercy hospital at 1230am that night and was seen by many nurses and 1 awesome doctor. I got a pelvic exam, a CT scan, and an ultrasound. The CT scan came back and the doc said "the tip of your appendix might be a little inflamed". Because of the nurses strike going on, I couldnt be treated at Mercy and had to move to Cambridge Medical Center (a 30 min drive). At 9am I was discharged from Mercy and headed up to Cambridge, all the while being in the worst pain ever and with a catheder in my arm. I had received some Dilaudid (8 times stronger than morphine) and I got that atleast 3 times so that really helped my pain.
My mom, sister, and Justin all arrived at Cambridge around 930am Thurs morning. I was seen by another nurse and her intern, who were both awesome! I got to talk to them about school and they even gave me some pointers. It was very cool. I was told I was assigned a surgeon since Id possibly be needing surgery. At this point it was unsure. The surgeon came in around 11am and felt my pain in the lower right quandrant and immediately knew it was appendicitis by the look on my face when she pressed down there. Boy, did that hurt. She scheduled my surgery for 1pm that same day. Right then, I was actually excited. I was excited that this pain that would not go away, was finally going to be fixed. This would be my first surgery.
1pm came and it was time they wheeled me down to the prep room. I said goodbye to my family and husband and waited while they prepped me. Last thing I remember from that is the anthesiologist saying "this will help you feel a little better" before injecting me with something. And i was out. Next thing I wake up all groggy and in the recovery room, just waiting and waiting to see my family. I couldn't wait to see them. Something about having surgery just makes you realize how important they are to you. First thing I asked for is Justin. I finally got to see them after about an hour in the recovery room.
We got to go back up to my room with Justin, my mom, sister, Kate, and Harlan. My grandpa and grandma showed up a little later too with some beautiful flowers.
I was really out of it for a while and ended up sleeping for most of my grandparents visit. I guess I kept asking for red bull so I could stay awake. I just wanted to be surrounded with my family.
I had to sleep at the hospital ofcourse so they gave Justin a Geri-chair to sleep on and I had my bed. It was very difficult to get up and walk after the surgery. I had to get help and actually still do now. Ive never been in so much pain in my life. I was given more Dilaudid as well as some other super stong anti-imflammatory stuff, AND Percoset. After all that, it was still painful. The surgeon did a 1 inch incision and removed my appendix. I found out later the next day that as soon as she took it out and touched it, IT BURST. For those who dont know, a burst appendix leads to peritonitis which is fatal. It releases bacteria in the peritoneum and that can kill someone. Very scary, so the fact that it burst right when they took it out, was definitely God taking care of me. No doubt about it. That's not luck. It was also A LOT more inflammed than they had imagined so I'm so thankful for my dad telling me to go in, otherwise I don't know what would have happened.
We also have Allina Partners Care which is not insurance but it pays for everything I need as long as I go to Allina. Which means a 15000$ or more hospital bill just turned into 0$ bill for us. Another God given thing. So incredibly thankful for this.
I am recovering at home now and Justin is taking care of me. He helps me walk and get to the bathroom and brings me food. My mom came over and brought food dishes for us since we wont be cooking or anything. Ive been in bed since we got home yesterday at noon, and today when she got here was the first time I got out of bed to go sit in the livingroom. It was a nice break from my bed. We played a game and talked and by that time I was so tired I was passing out.
That is the surgery update and I will post more on my recovery later. Thanks to everyone who visited and called. Love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment