I am so thankful for my classes about Child Psych because I have learned so much in order to plan for the future. Because of learning this and learning A LOT of other things from my friend who is a breasfeeding and natural birth guru, I have decided that I will not be getting an epidural and I want the most natural birth process available. No I am not pregnant, yet. If you know me well, you know that I can't function unless I plan things out. I plan years ahead of time for things. This helps me function. I can't stand not knowing what to expect. I have also decided that I will breastfeed for at least one year. Now that I know all the amazing positive aspects of it, I cannot imagine why someone wouldn't want to. Pain? Sorry but that's something you just get over because of all the great outcomes of breastfeeding. Here are some, just to name a few:
- there is a hormone influenced bond between baby and mother
- its free
- there are essential antibodies as well as colostrum that is not found in formula
- protects against breast and ovarian cancer!
- helps babies brain to grow and develop
- decreased learning disabilities
- helps guard against infections for the baby including ear infections, colds, and even viruses
- protects against SIDS, luekemia, and juvenile diabetes
- decreases chance of having Colic
With knowing these benefits, I find it hard to fathom that people do not breastfeed. Some people think that after 3 months they can just switch to formula. Wrong. You need to continue this to keep these benefits and helping out your baby.
As far as not wanting an epidural- epidural's make the mother an inactive participant. It makes you drowsy and detached. It increases the chance of needing O2 as well as giving you abnormal heart rate which increases your chance at having a C-section. Doctors today are so overwhelmingly giving C-sections it is ridiculous. God created birth as a natural process and mothers have been doing it for some 4,000 years! Doctors see this process as abnormal! Giving birth abnormal?? Oh you are in pain? Well we can do a c-section! Ive actually heard a doctor saying that, that makes me sick. Being induced with Pitocin, which is a synthetic Oxytocin, increases your chance of having a c-section also, thus I will not be induced either. I will let my future baby come out on his/her own time; on God's time. People think that a c-section is no big deal, they are wrong. Having a c-section is considered major surgery. It also costs another $6-7k on top of all the other prenatal and birth medical bills.
Well there you go. That is my 2 cents on something I am passionate about. I have never been pregnant before but I am an educated person. I educate myself on issues that matter. Especially things that have to do with a human life.
2 comments:
:)
Spread the word!
Oh! And not to mention that the longer you breastfeed, the more healthy we (moms) and babies are. For each year your breastfeed (as a mom) I think your risk of breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer are reduced by about 10% or more.
Plus breastfeeding heals your body after childbirth quicker. It makes your uterus contract, thus making the body go back to it's pre-pregnancy ideal. It also suppresses ovulation and reduces risk of post-partum depression.
I could go on for days, but I won't!
Post a Comment